1. We're looking for active, experienced players to help contribute and grow this site.

If your interested send NeoCHI a conversation.
    Dismiss Notice

[Ranger] Build Guide for Beginners w/ Boss Locations/Guides

Discussion in 'Guides' started by The Rev, Sep 25, 2015.

1. The Rev

The Rev Active Member

Hello all,

If you are like me and really like ranged classes in RPG games and are wondering if the ranger for this game is the right choice, then I will be stating my experience with the ranger so far. I am only lvl 12 but have read somewhat on what future skills are available (along with their inscripts). I will also probably be coming back and updating this as I play, level, and use the skills/inscripts. Also, a "Too Long; Didn't Read" section is at the bottom (summarizes the post in a brief manner)

I will be updating this post as I play more! Updates will be posted in new posts (on this thread) with the tag [UPDATE] They now include much more info (advanced skills, inscripts, bow vs rifle, soloing dungeons/bosses and Dawnwatch & Whitepike Elite Locations)

A key of shortened words I used:
    PvP = player vs player
    PvE= player vs environment
    DoT= damage over time (skills that damage opponent for a time limit, e.g., poison)
    dmg = damage
    inscript= inscription (the skill modifiers that each skill has 3 avaible of)
    lvl= level
    b/c= because
    wep= weapon

If you're like me and like your character to be that crafty sniper in RPG games that include PvP (you know that guy... the one that hits you from afar, has DoT to maintain a steady stream of damage on you, and IF you even manage to get close to him, he has some sort of trick to get away and keep kiting you? Yeah, I am sure we have all PvP'd against those annoying people) then I think this class will suit you well.

Choosing a Class:
    I chose elf for my ranger b/c that's what just seems natural. Pointy ears and pointy arrows...a match made in heaven. Need more of a reason? Fine... They get a 2% critical dmg bonus and critical dmg has always been my friend as a ranged class in all RPG games I have played. So that made me choose the elf.

However, you may want defense so you're not a glass-cannon or something else, idk...
    Human - 2% Defences
    Mendel - 3% Resists
    Elf - 2% Critical Damage
    Orc - 2% Physical Damage
    Kratan - 3% Armor

(original post: http://orderandchaos2forum.com/threads/race-abilities.166/)

So far my build is:
    Maroon color= Skill names
    Green color= Inscript names

-Triple Strike with Delay inscript
    -Passive skill "Thin the Herd" for extra dmg on slowed enemies
    -Deadly Trap (planning on using Toxic Trap inscript for DoT)
    -Scatter Shot with Blizzard inscript (to have another stun skill)
    -Stunning Shot (planning on Eagle Eye inscript for 20% crit chance)

Justifications:
    Distance is your friend. so keeping them stunned is an obvious choice (hence Blizzard inscript on Scatter Shot)

Why the Slow Down Inscription?
    Been seeing some people take the 30% extra fire dmg inscript (Wildfire) b/c the 15% passive dmg thing seems too little of a reward and by shear numbers 30% dmg> 15% dmg so it totally makes sense...BUT

Two usual things happen in PvP: (1) you begin to win the battle, the opponent sees that and runs, or (2) you start to lose that battle and run.

Case1: rangers can shoot AND run (something I don't see happen in many games) just this alone makes the inscription completely worth it. You are maybe mad that some guy just came by and started attacking you...you want vengeance! You will make him pay in blood! Well, as he runs (even outside the pvp zone) there is a 5 minute cool down for them to be "out of pvp" completely...this means you get 5 mins to continue chasing if you wish. Guess what? This inscript keeps them slower than you the WHOLE time b/c the cool down on Triple Strike is next to nothing. Add your passive (Thin the Herd) onto that and now you're doing bonus dmg the WHOLE time.

Case2: I dont know if you can use the teleporting system in the middle of pvp yet (meaning, open map, click a corridor and just go), but I have not seen anyone do it yet either (I am new to the game and haven't tested it out). But I have encountered very strong opponents...but you can hit them with your stun skill (Stunning Shot), slow them down, and run...at higher lvls you have a trap (Deadly Trap) which you can be setting as you run away as a means to "put obstacles" in their path that they will either avoid or take dmg from. In any case, they give up since you have these crafty skills and you are annoying to kill.

This skill is also quite amazing against monsters...kiting is very easy to do when they are slow. They never get near you and you always have bonus dmg on them (yes at the beginning, the bonus dmg may not be much but I'm assuming (and hoping) that at higher lvls, that percent dmg will mean A LOT more).
    The Triple Strike keeps them always slow and with passive combined I am doing extra dmg. I added the Blizzard inscript to the Scatter Shot skill to pin them even longer. I will be adding poison dmg (Toxic Trap) to my trap (Deadly Trap) to have DoT. So In case I am running away/ kiting, they will at least always be taking dmg from my shots AND poison. Having two skills that can stun/freeze will be useful in continuing to keep the enemy frozen in their tracks and all the while those skills are on cooldown, Triple Strike is slowing them down for me in between the time I can use stun skills again (Scatter Shot with Blizzard and Stunning Shot).

Just a helpful hint on your weapon and item drops from monsters:
    As per items and upgrading...stick to your heritage and upgrade that. It is important to keep that thing upgraded to do optimal dmg. I keep all weps that drop from monsters strictly for upgrading my heritage bow. If the wep happens to be something worthwhile (like rare and I don't need it for myself), then i auction it off to make money to fuel upgrading. Everything else I get from monsters, I sell for money to fuel upgrading. I haven't needed to use Red Oxide by doing this... by the time I have enough of the "aero powder" needed for upgrading to next lvl, my wep has already reached the cap by only using weps I find. I am saving all Red Oxide for anything unpredictable in the future that may cause me to really need it.

[NOTICE]: I have also recently learned that maybe in the end, it doesn't really matter how you spend skill points b/c they are "farmable"...meaning you will be able to get every single skill with all inscripts... but this is just a little guide for starting out and having fun with this crafty class. I am usually the type of gamer who likes to know aspects of a class before choosing it, devoting time to it, and investing skills. I don't like to be playing and not killing anything and be stressed about whether I chose the right combo of skills/inscripts and asking myself if I have to make the character over again and all that business. So hopefully this guide can help beginners, b/c I had to experiment a bit and re-create some characters to find what I liked and is effective at the same time.

What Others have said/suggested:
    Member Belukang has nicely put up an alternative build. The one I listed is more of a "defensive" build and his/her build is a "High dmg output" build. It is posted directly below!

------------------------------------------------
    TL;DR:

Build:
    -Triple Strike with Delay inscript (great for kiting, pvp, killing in general)
    -Stunning Shot (haven't unlocked inscripts yet, planning on using Eagle Eye)
    -Scatter Shot with Blizzard inscript
    -Deadly Trap (planning on putting poison damage inscript (called Toxic Trap) on it)

Justifications:
    -Distance and DoT (damage over time) are your best friends as a ranged class. Two skills that stun (Stunning Shot and Scatter Shot with Blizzard inscript) makes it so you can cycle them with slowing them down (Delay inscript on Triple Strike) in between using those two. Thus opponent is always either stunned or slowed down. Trap with poison (instead of stun) to have a DoT skill to be doing dmg as you kite and shoot.

-Enemy should theoretically always be taking dmg from your DoT (if it hits) and from your ranged attacks (b/c rangers can run AND shoot at the same time). AND enemy should theoretically always be slowed (and taking bonus dmg b/c of passive skill) or stunned.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
    m@e, Bombshell, Ganja4Life and 3 others like this.
  2. DataPunk

DataPunk New Member

Im a lvl 25 ranger but I agree with everything written down, very nice guide. :)

The Rev likes this.
  3. The Rev

The Rev Active Member

Cool! Great to know I am on the correct path, can't wait to keep editing it as I level. Thanks a lot for the input.

4. belukang

belukang New Member

I do agree with your build for defensive play, but there also another side of ranger in OaC2, a high dps build.

Critical chance:
    - Elf racial bonus, 2% crit chance
    - 15% crit chance from starfire longbow
    - stunning shot with eagle eye (20% crit chance for 7 sec)

Damage:
    - triple strike with wildfire (+30% dmg)
    - marked man (+20% dmg)
    - passive, no mercy (+5% dmg stackable up to 4x after u landed a crit hit)

and don't forget the powerful sniper skill.

5. The Rev

The Rev Active Member

Good to know this! Thanks for the input, really useful stuff. I will edit in your things to my original post. I do like a defensive style at the beginning of games... makes me feel "safer" haha

Also I tend to go with a "defensive" play style like the one I posted above in Free to Play games b/c in F2P games, those who pay more money are overpowered (f2p pay to win). And I never invest tons of money into a game...maybe a couple bucks if the game is worth it and I think it deserves it and that's my limit. BUT in my experience w/ many other F2P RPGs, if you can play your class very well and take advantage of certain skills, you can manage ppl who pay a lot...sometimes kill them easily if they don't know how to play.

So i tend to stick to skills that make sure i live through the hardest of enemies until I know what the game is and what is needed most.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2015
    belukang likes this.
  6. reaperk

reaperk New Member

excellent guide!

7. The Rev

The Rev Active Member

Thanks! Really appreciate it.

8. Drayg00n

Drayg00n New Member

Guess I'm on the right path. My ranger is lvl 14 and built along those lines w/ the blue inscriptions for delaying the enemy.

9. The Rev

The Rev Active Member

Yeah, i have been having a smooth ride so far and leveling up easily with this type of build... but again, in the end, as someone else told me, you will be able to afford all skills so you can mix and match.

At times, I do wish I had more dps inscripts... but then I fight bosses and pvp and holy cow I instantly go back to loving delay inscripts. Just doing the repetitive daily insta Q's gets boring w/o massive dps. But having an upgraded wep gets rid of that pain.

10. TNTT

TNTT New Member

i am not sure my attacking way would be correct. however, my combo is eagle eye + skill with three arrow (freeze) + skill with three continuous arrow with fire. with 02 passive skill (extre damage when slow + 4 times stuck when crit) --> i think it would nice damage there.

11. kofandy2001

kofandy2001 New Member

I want to know how much damage does snipe do? Everything in this game is all hidden atm.

12. Laroix

Laroix Active Member

Okay,
    I am level 31 currently (Ranger). 738 Honorable Kills.
    Just thought I'd throw my input in here... Might help a few people.
    Considering all I do is PVP this will mostly be PVP related.

Your main skills will be: ALL of them..
    You will have to master the ability to use every skill you have.
    Besides Arrow Rain.
    I do not have Arrow Rain and won't get it until I get the inscription for the burn damage.

Setup:
    Triple Strike: Wildfire
    (30% damage x3 is basically hitting 4 times instead of 3. Keep that in mind.)

Scatter Shot:Enchanted Arrows OR Blizzard.
    (The 30% damage is good for shotgunning people. Yes you can shotgun someone. If you hit them just right with Scatter Shot, two or all three of the arrow swill hit them.) (Blizzard is amazing just simply for the fact you can set up on it so easily... Explained later.)

Stunning Shot: Archer's Shield.
    (This is hands down the BEST inscription ever for PVP... You will mitigate most of the damage as you kite away from them.)

Deadly Trap: Toxic Trap.
    (This inscription does a TON of damage... and I mean a ton... It's like you grew two more arms and began shooting two bows at once..)

Sneak: Not high enough level for inscription.
    (Best skill in the game when it comes to getting away from targets AND setting up on targets.)

Sniper: Not high enough level for inscription.
    (This skill is simply amazing in certain scenarios... I'll explain this LATER.)

Alright boys let's do this!
    Here's what you do and what you should do if you want to be like badass Laroix over here ranking in the kills and making people hate you.
    I will describe two different scenarios and how to handle them.

Scenario #1:
    You get the drop on someone.
    Sneak over to them>Scatter Shot(Blizzard)>They can't move for 2 seconds>Trap:Toxic IMMEDIATELY>Stunning shot>Marked Man>Triple shot>Kite>Triple shot>Drop trap Again>Kite around the trap>Stand in it and SNIPE.
    As long as you keep up your traps and your Mark, this should be an easy win.

Scenario #2:
    Someone gets the drop on you.
    INSTANTLY: Sneak>Snipe>Mark>Trap>Stun Shot>Triple Shot>Scatter Shot>Triple Shot>Trap>Stun Shot>Triple Shot>Etc.

There are a ton of different setups and situations that I could put every skill into..
    But basically you'll become more fluid as time goes on and you're more aware..
    Don't panic when they are on top of you.
    That's why you have the shield.
    When shield fades, kite with Stun shot.
    And if they start running, Sneak flip after them and stun shot them/triple them to death. :D

belukang likes this.
  13. The Rev

The Rev Active Member

Thanks for the info Laroix! Really useful to know PvP stuff. I might be switching my delay inscript on triple shot to thhe wildfire in the near future... but so far I have been just trying to lvl and upgrading my bow is now near impossible since Aerosiderite powder does not drop for me anymore (I am getting the next lvl version of that) and I need 9 of those powders to rank my bow to VI but I never get them :(

So slowing down enemies has been helping tons now that my dmg is staying at the same but enemies are getting harder. Kiting bosses is nice with it too...

But will definitely try what you said when I go to PvP! Those stats really speak for themselves :p

14. Malade

Malade New Member

Hi, just a question. What would be better for PvE and PvP the bow or the rifle ? I got lucky and got both so not sure which one to upgrade.

Thanks

15. The Rev

The Rev Active Member

I have just been sticking to the heritage wep b/c you can evolve it and make it stronger than anything I have found or seen... and that's a bow. And it's great for both PvP and PvE.

I'm only 22 and I solo farm the bosses that drop divine essence and meteorite ore... when 30+ ppl come to the pvp one, I can still kill them with the bow :)

16. The Rev

The Rev Active Member

[UPDATE]

color code remained same as original post.

I am now lv 25 and I have a couple things to say:

(1) TESTING OUT DMG: I tested out Wildfire vs Delay inscripts on Triple Strike and found that Delay (while coupled with "Thin the Herd" passive) still deals more inherent dmg than wildfire... I was averaging 20 more dmg per shot when Delay was on...plus the slowdown function helps in kiting bosses and all your other attacks do bonus dmg as well.

(2) BOSSES/ELITES: I have been able to easily solo mini bosses and elites (Murloc, Redhead, Brainless, Khaloora, etc. in Dawnwatch) (been farming tons of meteorite ore and divine essences)...completely alone. People were saying a sub-25 ranger couldn't do it, but they were severely wrong. Very easy to solo these guys. Your three best friends during these fights: Deadly Trap w/ Toxic Trap inscript, Triple Strike w/ Delay inscript, and Kiting with Stunning Shot every now and then to help replenish stamina. I have been able to simply tank all mini bosses (the ones that drop meteorite ore: Redhead, Brainless, Khaloora, and Green Rambler) so with these guys, I use Arrow Rain as well so there is even more dmg hitting them: meaning since I am not kiting and the boss therefore doesn't move, he takes full dmg from Arrow Rain as that skill only concentrates dmg to one small circle over 5 seconds or so)

(3) DUNGEONS: This build (the one mentioned as original post) also can solo Forgotten Mine dungeon...I solo that dungeon when I get bored. But just like I mentioned in (2), this build destroys bosses without needing a party.

In short: Delay is still my preferred inscript (for now) on Triple Strike. We will see what happens when I unlock more skills/passives. and Toxic Trap on Deadly Trap is by far the most useful thing when you solo bosses or kill anything really! And if you PvP and it hits them...they are gone. It's like Laroix said, "It's like you grew two more arms and began shooting two bows at once"

(4) NEW SKILL:
    At 25 you can unlock Sneak...amazing skill for anything and a no-brainer in getting... Stealth mode? What's not to love about that? AND you instantly jump away 6meters in case you were ambushed? Game devs really loved ranger class I must say! So don't hesitate to get this skill!!! It especially shines in PvP (whether you are sneaking up on someone or they get the drop on you)
    --------

Any questions, comments, or concerns are always welcome!

I can also make a guide on how I farm bosses of Dawnwatch if anyone wants it! I know many locations and generally have great success (meaning all bosses are present and I get loot). Been keeping a large supply of both meteorite ore (used to craft upgrading material) and Divine Essences (used to trade for legendary weps for evolutions).

Last edited: Oct 2, 2015
    Ganja4Life and belukang like this.
  17. Wacko

Wacko New Member

Thanks. Some tips on boss farming would be great. Been playing more than 2 weeks but somehow the daily gift that is supposed to give Divine essence reset to day one after day 4 I have been playing everyday. How do you solo a dungeon? Is there no need for partners?

18. The Rev

The Rev Active Member

[UPDATE] - Dawnwatch Elites/Boss Locations, Spawn Time, and Killing Guide

color code and abbreviations remained same as original post.

Soloing Dungeons:
    When you're a ranger in the low 20's, yes you can solo Forbidden Mine with the build I posted. Granted, your gear must be a bit up-to-date.. (i.e., don't still have your heritage bow at lv 1). I have not yet solo'd Clay Dungeon as my lvl has far surpassed my need for farming that place (getting mats to craft materials takes FOREVER so by the time you have gathered everything for one piece, you have outleveled it by a lot), and getting a party is broken at the moment (you can't line up in the queue). Killing in the dungeon is a matter of using your trap on multiple targets to poison them all and then use Arrow Rain to finish them off. If you don't have Deadly Trap with Toxic Trap/ Arrow Rain, it will be A LOT slower and more dangerous. The first boss can be killed using the method posted below on how to kill Fishman General. Second boss can be killed using the same method posted to kill Khaloora or Green Rambler.

Mini-bosses/ Elites:
    [NOTE]: These bosses/elites are only on the Dawnwatch map!

So for mini-bosses (elites that drop Meteorite Ore)... the ones I farm and keep an ample supply for crafting are: Redhead, Brainless, Khaloora, and Green Rambler.

Khaloora and Green Rambler are quite easy...no need for kiting at all. Khaloora has the ability to stun, but it's not biggie. Green Rambler has a very weak AoE (he just swipes his tail around) which is super easy to avoid and keeps you slowed down the whole time, which is no problem because tanking him is no problem. Simple steps to killing them:

(1) Use Marked Man (I have Stake Out inscript to make it last longer)
    (2) Triple Strike with Delay inscript to slow them down and get the 15% increase dmg from Passive Thin the Herd (total combined with marked man is now 35%)
    (3) Set Deadly Trap with Toxic Trap inscrip at their feet
    (4) Use Arrow Rain (I haven't unlocked inscripts on this yet) to increase dmg per second (dps)
    (5) Spam Triple Strike and Stunning Shot until all other skills are ready to be used in the order posted

If you have Sniper unlocked, use that after using: Marked Man, Triple Strike with Delay, and Stunning Shot with Eagle Eye (Adds 20% chance of critical)... my sniper shot does 1.5k dmg after adding all those enhancers...and these bosses only have 8k HP... so one shot deals quite the punch!

If you're a lowbie (like 22-ish), soloing elites is still very easy... Toxic Trap is your best friend!!

Brainless and Redhead are a tad harder (I just tank them now since I'm a higher lvl) because they have DoT.

Killing them is still easy, but if you don't want to get hurt that much, then distance/kiting is your friend.
    Redhead has an annoying stun and then lights you on fire
    Brainless has a DoT that cannot be avoided (b/c he can cast it from a distance) and has a stun that can be easily avoided as a range class...you will see a large red circle around him when he prepares to stun (he punches the ground).

To kill them, it's essentially the same as Khaloora or Green Rambler except no Arrow Rain (b/c you are moving around a lot so this skill will just miss. Only use if you can keep them somewhat still)

So order goes (all with same inscripts as before): Marked Man -> Triple Strike -> Stunning Shot -> Deadly Trap -> Spam Triple Strike -> Repeat. Do this while kiting and you should be fine.

The FOUR previous Elites only drop Meteorite Ore (used to make Washed Meteorite which is then used to make any type of Aerosiderite (powder, splintered, normal, etc...the stuff to upgrade heritage weps) each tier of aerosiderite requires more washed meteorite than the previous)

Fishman General (previously referred to as Murloc)
    To farm Divine Essence is a bit trickier because the boss is not only harder than the previous four, but it's also in a PvP zone. You can get killed by others while battling the boss, or even after you defeat the boss and they can steal your loot. So be careful and quick!

The boss appears in the middle of Vega Square island and his name is Fishman General. He has more health and more defense than the elites (as he should). He has a stun that is hard to avoid and he hurts a lot if he catches up to you. Consider taking potions if you are in you're low 20's. Kiting and Distance are necessary for a low 20's Ranger. But remember, don't kite too far or he will reset.

Steps to killing this oversized-fish-thingy-man are identical to Brainless and Redhead. Just set the trap between you and him and let him run into it...don't plant at his feet otherwise he gets a couple of free hits on you. KEEP your distance. He has one AoE that will always miss if you keep running a nice, wide circle around him. Spam Triple Strike with Delay to keep him slowed down. And remember to keep marking him. He isn't much harder than the rest...just takes a bit longer and is riskier because of the pvp zone. When are you stunned, you can unleash Arrow Rain as you are both not moving for a couple of seconds.
    [IMPORTANT] - After he is dead and the chest has appeared... that chest takes FOREVER to open. Set your trap so that the circle (area of effect) encompasses the whole chest and yourself. Open it ASAP unless you already spot someone coming for you. Yes, someone can open it even though you killed the boss alone...So set the trap as a preemptive strike/ warning circle and hopefully you get the loot.

Loot:
    From the four elites, you get only ONE Meteorite Ore and maybe other items. But the one Meteorite Ore is a 100% drop chance.

From Fishman General, you get gold (like 100 I think), maybe some item, and a 100% chance of TWO Divine Essences

Spawn Time:
    All bosses mentioned have a 2 hour spawn time. When they spawn is a matter of when they were killed last. The daily reset does not reset their timer. So it's a matter of luck to come across one that's spawned. I currently live in Germany, but play on USA servers...So I find that when it's morning for me (9am Berlin time - which is like 1am West Coast USA so like 4am East Coast) the bosses are all usually there and I have no issues farming all 5 (even Murloc) for the daytime here (every two hours, log in, kill them all, log out) until it's evening here and morning/noon in the US. Then there is good competition for these bosses. Using this time-zone difference, I have been able to stock up on enough Divine Essences and Meteorite Ore that I kind of don't farm the bosses anymore to let others get the loot (even though no one is really going after them when I do).

Locations
    Screenshots of the Elites/Boss and their locations are in a post labeled "UPDATE CONT'D - Personal Screenshots (SS) ..." within this thread (pg 2)

For more boss locations, click the following link:
    http://orderandchaos2forum.com/threads/boss-location-guide.140/
    (it has many pages with screenshots as well, also includes other map bosses: whitepike, trim steppes, etc.)

-----------------
    Let me know if anything was unclear and needs more detail or need anything else! As always, any comments, questions or concerns are always welcome! I am now 31 and will be posting yet another update soon.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2015
    belukang likes this.
  19. Ryiah

Ryiah Active Member

I absolutely love this guide. Infact its the best guide I've seen of any kind in a long time.

It actually makes me want to use my Ranger as a main!

Thank you!!

20. The Rev

The Rev Active Member

Thanks a lot for the compliments and support! I really appreciate it!! Will be posting more in the future :) especially if people are liking it and finding it useful :D